Last weekend Drew and I went to our childbirthing class. I was pleasantly surprised with how helpful and reassuring I thought it was. Even if I don't remember anything from the class, I can still say it helped calm some of my fears if nothing else.
Our class was an all day Saturday class from 8-4:30, so it was a long day, but it went by quickly. The morning portion was about the actual medical part of labor as well as some of things that go along with it. It was more of a classroom setting. I thought it was very informative, and was glad to get some more info about some of the topics. The nice thing about it was that the class was taught by a nurse from the OB's office I go to, so all the information was specific to our doctors and hospital. I think Drew would have rather skipped the morning part and remained blissfully ignorant about everything though, haha! After this portion we broke for lunch, and Drew and I enjoyed some yummy Mexican food.
The afternoon was spent with everyone on the floor practing some different breathing techniques (while the guys coached) as well as learning some pushing positions and getting more information on what to expect with the three different types of labor: no epidural, epidural, and c-section. The breathing techniques were really helpful. I know most people laugh when you tell them that and say I won't use them, but we'll see. She said the feedback she gets from women after going through labor is that the breathing was especially helpful in aiding the mommy in staying home to labor for a longer period of time. I hope they do help with that! I had no idea there were different breathing techniques that are more useful than others in certain stages of labor. We also got some exercises to start now to help us loosen our muscles so we wouldn't be as sore after labor.
The best and worst part of the class... I had to be the guinea pig. She used me to demonstrate all the exercises and pushing positions! I know our nurse was fantastic because I didn't feel too embarrassed, and as modest and shy as I am that means she made the class feel pretty comfortable. The good part about having to do this is that I feel like I learned and know it all a little better. As a teacher I know the importance of actually doing something to help learn it better than just watching. Hopefully it will stick with me!
I can't believe I am to the point where I am thinking more about labor than pregnancy. We have only 3 1/2 weeks until our due date! I guess I should start packing my hospital bag and getting things in order!
Keep praying that Breanna is healthy and happy!
West Fork Park | Green Township, OH | Cincinnati
8 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment