Sunday, November 7

crib

Because of Breanna's reflux she has been sleeping in her bouncy chair.  She has learned that this chair means it is time to sleep and usually great at night!  Last night we tried the crib for the first time since she was a newborn.  It was NOT GOOD.  I didn't get to sleep until 3 am and she got up at 6 am.  Yikes.  She went to bed like normal, and slept great until 12.  At midnight she woke up and was fussing a bit.  Since she wasn't really crying I let her continue for a few minutes hoping she would put herself back to sleep.  She didn't.  When I went in I eventually had to feed her and she looked like she would go right back to sleep when I finally left her room.  About 5 minutes later I could hear her on the monitor.  Not crying, not fussing, but squealing with delight as she talked and played.  I didn't know if I should go in and try to get her back to sleep or just let her figure it out on her own.  I decided (not sure if it was right or not) to just let her play.  She played until 2 am.  I was afraid that if I went in she would really think it was time to play and be even harder to get to fall back to sleep.  Finally at 2 it got quiet... for about 5 minutes.  Then she began to cry.  I went in to try just to calm her down and quiet her to sleep.  After about 10 minutes or so of not being able to get her to settle down, I finally fed her again to get back to sleep.  At about 2:40 I was finally back in bed... and wide awake at this point.  Ha!  I think I fell asleep somewhere around 3.  She got up at 6 like usual, so I fed her, and let Daddy play with her while I slept for another hour and a half.  All I can say is hopefully tonight will be better.  I am making a commitment to at least stick this out for a week.  Next Monday I have Breanna's 4 month appointment (a little late, I know), so I can ask the doctor for suggestions or help if it's not getting any better by then.

Say a prayer for Breanna to get into healthy sleep habits now!

3 comments:

Chelsie Lee said...

I had a similar issue with Amy not wanting to sleep in a crib at nap times (yes that was my own fault for cuddling to much) so I have done a little research. During my research I read about several parents having your issue about the child sleeping in a chair and not the crib. They suggested that you start by putting the chair in the crib during sleep times. That way they associate the chair with the crib and then the crib with sleep. It may not work with Breanna but if you have too many more sleepless nights it may be worth giving a try. They suggested doing it for a few days than take the chair out of the crib. Keep me posted on the progress and Amy will add Breanna getting a good night sleep to her nightly prayers. See you soon!

Grandma Laurie said...

I think she just wants to come to her grandma's to sleep.

Christina said...

Sleep issues are so tough!! We did the carseat in the crib thing with alex for a while. We're having sleeping through the night issues with Nathan... then when he finally did for 3 nights in a row (after a little crying it out - hardest thing, but it's the only thing that worked with Alex and we're in the same place with Nathan now) then he got his shots... and now he's teething and everything is even worse than before! AND there was the time change! Haha... I think the process of developing good sleeping habits is the toughest thing of parenting the first year! Right when you get it figured out, something in the routine changes and you start all over again! Good luck with breanna, she'll get it eventually! :)