This post will be short, but I wanted to get your opinions...
Sunscreen is supposed to be for babies 6 months and older. This is for a few different reasons but mainly because too many chemicals are absorbed into the skin of such a little body, and it hasn't been sufficiently tested in infants younger than that. Our pediatrician said to avoid it (and thus direct sun) for the first six months if possible, but if direct sun is unavoidable to go ahead and use it. Using it is better than a sunburn she said. Lately, I have seen so many cute photos of infants at the beach and pool, so I assume they have sunscreen on. I want your opinion on the topic. Am I being over protective? Did/do you use it on your little one? What do you think?
West Fork Park | Green Township, OH | Cincinnati
8 years ago

6 comments:
Hey there!! I was lucky that Hannah was born in January, therefore we did not go into the sun for a long time :) However, I occasionally took her out (with sunscreen) prior to 6 months. My doc said there was a concern about the baby's sensitivity, aka causing an allergic reaction, and that's why the bottle says it's for 6 months and up.
If you go out, I would just make sure Breanna has a hat (and sunscreen)!
Amanda
I heard the same thing about sunscreen but read somewhere you can use zinc (I think that's what it's called) we bought a cover at Walmart to put on Bekka's carseat that is mesh but is 98% UV protection
Love Katie!
I have taken Amy out from time to time in the sun (like the day her dad came home from overseas we had to stand outside for 30 minutes). I just put sunscreen and a hat on her and made sure to give her a good bath as soon as I got home. From what I read/understand it is just due to the skin sensitivity so I bought the baby sun lotion and watched. If I remember right only one time did she even have a few pimples (and I mean just a few). I think they were more from the heat then the sunscreen though. The important thing to remember is every child and situation is different and you have to do what is going to make you feel the best. Hope this helps.
I use it probably a couple times a week with Nathan (I used it less when Alex was little but used it when we went to the beach and he was 4 months old)... we do a lot of beach/pool/park stuff and it's inevitable that Nathan's going to be in the sun sometimes! I try to keep him in the shade as much as possible... or take his carseat and throw a blanket over the top or put him in the stroller for shade some too. But, sometimes it's not possible and he likes to be in on the fun and not always stuck in his seat or stroller too ;) haha. I put a hat on him though and will put some sunscreen on his arms and legs (baby sunscreen if I have it - but I even used regular sunscreen once! haha). Usually I don't have him in the direct sun for more than a little bit though (and usually more morning or late afternoon rather than middle of the day - that's nap time for us anyway!) And when I do put it on him I try to avoid a lot on the face and keep it off his hands so it doesnn't end up in his eyes... and then I try to give him a bath that night too :)
Alex has always had sensitive skin and he's never had any issues that I thought were from sunscreen... and Nathan's been fine so far. I would give it a try if you want to(I figured I didn't want to avoid the beach/pool/being outside for 6 months - especially having a toddler too! haha) I would just use a little the first time to make sure she doesn't have some weird reaction or whatever... but also, I don't think there's anything magical about "6 months"... if her skin is going to be sensitive to it, it'll probably still be sensitive to it at 6 months.
Hope that helps :)
I bought the trunks and long sleeve swim shirt with SPF 50 built in. I also ALWAYS keep Jag in a hat if we are outside or in the sun. If we are at a pool, boat, outside, etc., I find a nice shady spot for him. This keeps him cool (happy baby) and away from the rays.
He is over 6 months and I haven't had to put sunscreen on him. However, at his 6 mo check up, my doc, who has a 14 month old, recommend Neutrogena Pure and Free. She said it had the least amount of chemicals in it- CVS makes a great generic version! We went ahead and bought some for our Nov. Florida trip.
If you do use it, try a small amount on her leg to make sure she isn't allergic- she'll do fine!
I have some organic sunBLOCK (better, for people of all ages, than sunSCREEN, according to the EPA) that you are welcome to try out if you want to use some.
You know me and my deal with chemicals. :) For me, my concern is less about whether their skin will be bothered and more about the actual chemicals entering their itty bitty baby bodies :) Your skin is one big organ and anything you put on it, goes in. My general rule for the little guys is that if it can't be eaten, it can't go on their bods. I certainly brake that rule from time to time though..
As someone said above, there's nothing magical about 6 months...I think Dominic was just shy of 6 months when I put some sunblock on him. Mostly though, for both kiddos, I was all about hats and hanging in the shade when they were small. Gianna has never been sunburned, ever. Dominic got a little pink around 3ish months when he went through an angry hat phase and we were at a park that had NO SHADE...plus he is much more fare than Gianna. Personally, I probably wouldn't put sunblock, even organic, on a baby as young as Breanna...I'd do a hat and some light clothing, and maybe if I was going to be outside with no shade, an umbrella. Maybe if we HAD to be out in direct sunlight for a long time, I would. In the pool, I really like the rash guard suits...they cover more skin!
You are the mama bear! :)You do what won't keep you up at night ;)
Post a Comment