Wednesday, August 25

mommy support

I absolutely love being a stay-at-home mom!  I truly feel it is where God wants me to be right now, and I love spending so much time with my 8 week old daughter.  Today is the first day back to school with a classroom full of new students for the teachers at my old school.  I have to admit I truly have shed a few tears today because I'm not there.  I never questioned my chosen career, and I loved every year I spent in the classroom.  This morning while I was changing her diaper I cried for a moment and actually thought, "Anyone can do what I'm doing at home with Breanna right now.  Teaching is a real job."  My daughter then smiled up at me while I was wiping her bottom, and I laughed out loud.  Only her mom can get such a big grin while changing her, and only her mom could feel so much love as I completed such a gross task.  My tears were then replaced with pride and a heart of gratitude for the chance to be at home. 
It seems that we always want what we don't have.  The grass is always greener, right?  I get so frustrated when I hear other moms talk about how staying at home isn't a real job and it can't be fulfilling, or that going to work is neglectful (is that a word?) to their kids.  You often hear, "I would never let a daycare raise my kids," or "What an unfulfilling life a stay-at-home mom must have."  I don't understand why moms can't just support each other.  No matter what work/career choice a mom makes, it is never easy.  No two families are the same, and what works for one may not be the best for the other.  Moms get enough criticism from everyone else.  Why do we do it to each other?  This applies to parenting styles as well.  I don't do things the same way as other moms I know, but I respect the decisions they've made.  A mom's decisions are made with an informed mind and a loving heart, and that's all that can be asked of them.  If you talk with your mom or any mom today, remind them that they're doing a great job.  Remind them that the choices they've made are helping their family.
Keep praying for our family of 3!     

0 comments: