We had our one month checkup on Wednesday. It was originally scheduled for next week, but I called Wednesday morning and the nurse thought we should move it up. When Breanna sleeps she will stop breathing for a split second a couple times a night. I know she stops because the noise she makes is horrible to hear! It makes your heart drop into your chest, because it is an unmistakable sound of gasping for air. When she does this she startles herself awake and then goes right back to sleep as if nothing happened. We had heard and read that some babies will do this when they are really young as they continue to get used to life outside the womb, so I figured I was probably being an overprotective first time mom. After about a week of this I decided I didn't care if I was being "that mom" and I called the doctor. They moved up her appointment and said they were glad I called.
The doctor said it sounds like she probably has reflux and as the milk goes back up her esophagus it gets too close to her airway, so it closes off for a second as a natural defense. She gave me a referral to Cincinnati Children's hospital to get an upper GI study so they can figure out if that is the problem. Since it is affecting her breathing, better safe than sorry. While I think what the doctor explained makes sense, I'm still really nervous about the procedure. The doctor said she will drink a small amount of liquid and then do an exray to see how she processes it. Our appointment is for tomorrow (Friday) at 8:30. She isn't allowed to eat after 4:30 in the morning, which is going to be awful! I'm so glad we introduced the pacifier now so that she has some hope of not being completely miserable tomorrow. This is the scary, not fun part of being a mommy that I could live without!
On the fun side of the doctor's visit: Breanna is now 8 pounds 12 ounces! She has also grown 2 inches and is now 20 3/4 in. My milk must be doing something because she sure has grown!! I'll post a picture of the little chunker soon! Breanna only had to get one shot this time, and it was harder on mommy than her! I can't believe my little baby is already 1 month old! The time goes so fast!
Pray for a good hospital visit tomorrow!
West Fork Park | Green Township, OH | Cincinnati
8 years ago

1 comments:
Wow - she's growing like a champ! I'll be praying for you all tomorrow! :)
Post a Comment