Friday, April 16

sugar, sugar

I had my glucose screening at my last doctor's appointment.  I have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I went in, they gave me my bottle of "orange drink" and a timer.  I had to drink it within 5 minutes (and keep it down) and then started the timer for one hour.  The drink was very sweet, but wasn't that bad.  It truly tasted like sweet orange soda without the fizz.  Would I choose it out of a vending machine, no... but it wasn't going to make me sick either.  I brought papers to grade with me, so I was able to get some work done while I waited for the hour to pass.  When my timer went off they took some blood and did a finger stick.  Wouldn't you know my blood sugar levels came back high from the fingerstick.  Most doctor's put you in the high range anywhere from 130-140.  My doctor doesn't consider you "high" until you are 145.  I was 147.  My first reaction when the nurse told me... "Haha, awesome."  She told me since I was so close to being in the normal range she would talk to the doctor and see if I needed to go ahead and schedule for the 3 hour test for gestational diabetes or if I could just wait for my lab results to come back.  Thankfully, the doctor said I could wait for the lab results the next day.  Those results, fortunately came back in the normal range.  Yay!  So, no 3 hour test for me, which involves fasting, double the amount of orange drink, lots more time, and lots more blood and needles.  I was very happy with that news!  I did decide that I needed to make an effort to eat more protein and less carbs to help keep my blood sugar levels down.  Nothing major, but hopefully all the little things will have some effect!  They can't hurt at least... spinach in my salads instead of other lettuces, more chicken, whole wheat and grain bread when I do have it, whole wheat pasta, etc. etc.
Other than that minor annoyance/scare my last appt. went well.  Baby's heartrate was good.  My weight was great, so they tell me.  I'm up 16 pounds so far.  It's slightly scary to see the scale at the highest numbers it's ever been at!  She moving and kicking like crazy.  I am now starting to have appointments every 2 weeks instead of every 4.  It's hard to believe I'm at that point!  My next appointment is April 28. 
I have some other big updates that I will share in my next post, but it is way past my bedtime!  I'm getting up early to go visit some friends!

Keep praying for a healthy and happy baby girl and pregnancy!     

0 comments: