Monday, March 15

24 Weeks

Baby girl is still the size of a papaya, but a nice plump one!


"Baby's skin is becoming more opaque as the fat starts to pack on. And, thanks to the formation of small capillaries, her newly thick skin is taking on a fresh pink glow."
 
We got the nursery painted this weekend!  (And by we, I mean Drew)  My wonderful husband knew that I didn't want to be around the paint fumes if I didn't have to.  While I know plenty of people that have painted their nursery and have a healthy, happy baby, I figure there's no reason to take the risk if I didn't have to.  And since my husband is fantastic, I didn't have to!  The room looks great!  It's not so much nurseryish right now though, because except for a mattressless crib, there really isn't anything baby in it.  I'm sure the room will be overflowing with baby stuff in a matter of months though!  The room actually looks put together finally, though!  We have had the wallpaper down for a few months now, but nothing else on the walls.  (And by we, I mean my in-laws)  I don't mind to go in there now!  It's something else to check off my list.
 
Also checked off my list is finding a pediatrician.  I feel strange saying that, but I did.  I got a recommendation from my doctor and my OB.  They all had taken their children to the same place and loved it, so I thought I would check it out.  The one downfall to the place is that there is 10 doctors at the practice, so you don't necessarily get a close relationship with one doctor, but it was more important to me that I could get in when there was a need (ie. baby girl is sick and mommy is worried).  We could ask to only see one specific doctor if this becomes more important to me later.  This practice is also open 7 days a week, with Sundays reserved for emergencies only.  That was a big selling point for me.  We plan on using all the recommendations for immunizations and vaccinations, so that wasn't a factor when choosing.  If anyone has anything else that I should think to go back and ask or look into let me know. 
 
It's just so nice to actually be getting things done and figured out.  I feel like the time is going to start to fly by! 
 

Keep praying for a healthy and happy baby girl and pregnancy!     

1 comments:

brad said...

my only final rec is make sure they are supportive of breastfeeding....

do they use or at least have knowledge of the alternative growth charts recommended by the World Health Organization for breastfed babies? (the growth charts used by most dr's are OLD..from like, the 1950's, and the data was gathered from Caucasian, formula fed babies...not exactly a good sample)

Do they refer to an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) before recommending supplementing w/ artificial baby milk in the event of breastfeeding challenges?

Do they follow the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendation that breast milk alone is sufficient for at least the first 6 months?

Do they support and encourage mothers to follow the AAP recommendation to breastfeed for at least a year?

Are they open to the WHO's recommendation to breastfeed for at least 2 years? (I'm not saying you will nurse "that long" ;) but you never how things will go and it's important to have support!)

Have the female doctors in the practice breastfed their own children?

lol hmm. sorry for the novel, can you tell I am passionate about nursing?? :) Glad you found a practice, it's such a relief to scratch that off your list!

You're not looking for a dr who is a breastfeeding expert (though that would be nice....) just someone who is supportive and who does not give bad nursing advice :) There are no classes on breastfeeding in med school...even for aspiring pediatricians. A doctor who will and does refer to an IBCLC is a wonderful thing!