Wednesday, July 27

Weaning

We have begun the weaning process and I am happy to say it is going extremely well!  I was ready for this time to come, as I am ready to have my body back to myself.  I have adopted the method of dropping a feeding every week or two with the "don't offer, don't refuse" approach.  Breanna has begun the tugging and lifting of my shirt when she is really wanting to nurse, so I knew it would be obvious if she was not happy with my plan.  Thankfully, she has taken my lack of offering like a champ, and doesn't seemed fazed by it much at all.  I have noticed on occasion that when something doesn't go the way she wants around the same time I would normally have nursed her she melts down faster than she normally would have, but other than that she's been taking it all in stride.  After several weeks she is now usually only nursing when she wakes up in the morning, at dinner, and before bed.  I am hoping to drop the dinner session soon, but will probably wait a little while on the morning and bedtime ones.  And, thanks to her older cousin Amy for being such a great role model on how to drink milk from a sippy cup!  Breanna must have decided she wanted to be like Amy and has taken to whole milk quite well.  This was something she was previously not too keen on.  I even was pumping for a while and she refused the breastmilk from a cup as well.  The only way I could get her to drink milk at all from her cup was to dilute it with water.  We have slowly been increasing the ratio of milk to water, but after she saw Amy drinking milk she was all over it (in her straw cup like Amy's of course).  Now she will happily drink it with no water mixed in at all.

 First taste of milk... not too happy about it!
 

0 comments: