As I was listening to the radio in the car yesterday a song came on by the Sidewalk Prophets called "The Words I Would Say" and it reminded me of being pregnant with Breanna. The song was on the radio quite frequently at the time, and I would sing the beginning of the song and the chorus to Breanna (usually through choked back tears) while rubbing my belly. Here are the lyrics:
Three in the morning,
And I'm still awake,
So I picked up a pen and a page,
And I started writing,
Just what I'd say,
If we were face to face,
I'd tell you just what you mean to me,
I'd tell you these simple truths,
Be strong in the Lord and,
Never give up hope,
You're going to do great things,
I already know,
God's got His hand on you so,
Don't live life in fear,
Forgive and forget,
But don't forget why you're here,
Take your time and pray,
These are the words I would say,
When I heard the song yesterday it made me realize that there are lots of things that I don't want to forget about the last year. So while they are quite random and may not mean much to other people I want to remember them and be able to explain them to Breanna one day. So, here are some of those things:
1) When Breanna first started to smile, she would pull away while nursing and look me right in the eyes and a smile would spread across her face. It made my heart melt to know I was meeting her every need right at that moment.
2) Breastfeeding was really hard for me in the beginning. In fact, I can remember a very teary dinner the first week Breanna was born where I lost it and my family probably learned a little too much about how painful it was! (Sorry about that Dad, haha!) I even called a complete stranger that Drew knows who used to be the president of La Leche League to get tips and advice. Thankfully, everyone was so supportive and I pushed through it. I am so glad I kept going, because I have loved and am still loving every precious minute with her! Some of my favorite memories are from those times! (see #1)
3) The first couple months after Breanna was born, she napped on me throughout the day. She would snuggle up on my chest and just melt into me. Sometimes I could even feel her heart beating. There was so much house work to do, but I knew the work would be there later and just enjoyed holding my precious baby. I am so glad I chose to hold her now instead of going and doing chores! I already miss those times!
4) When Breanna started laughing she would hold them back for only the really really funny things and so often they happened on the changing table. I don't know if she liked being diaper free or what, but I got some of the best laughs there!
5) For about the first 2 months of Breanna's life she would always pee as soon as I took her diaper off. It never failed!
6) Breanna slept in her bouncy seat for the first 5 1/2 months of her life because of her reflux. Transitioning to the crib was not fun for any of us!
7) Breanna had two scary trips to Children's Hospital. She would stop breathing when she was on her back. (the reason for #6 above) After doing some tests and ruling out alternatives we figured out it was because the milk was coming back up her esophagus and getting too close to her airway, so her body's fight or flight response was to close the airway. She was put on reflux medicine for about 6 months and kept off of her back. I hope I never have to experience that feeling again!
8) While I was pregnant I would sit on the couch for hours and just feel Breanna move. For about a week after she was born I would catch myself with my hand on my belly waiting to feel her move. Sometimes I miss being pregnant, but having her here with me is twice as good!
9) We ditched the paci at 6 months and haven't looked back!
10) Breanna has only had about 8 or 9 bottles in her life. There have been a couple times where that has made me feel a little overwhelmed (like at 3 in the morning when Breanna is hungry despite just being fed 3 hour prior...) but God willing I will do the same with a second child. Even though I missed my sleep, I enjoyed those quiet middle of the night bonding sessions. And, it's so nice not to have to worry about toting bottles and milk around.
I'm sure there are tons of things I will add to this list, but that's it for now.
Keep praying for our family of 3!
West Fork Park | Green Township, OH | Cincinnati
8 years ago

2 comments:
Breanna will treasure this blog someday! What a great gift you have given her and us by sharing your thoughts. You are a great mommy!
This made me smile :) What a blessing motherhood is!
Post a Comment