Breanna has now had 5 bottles since she was born. They are all still breastmilk, just in bottles. The first was given to her by Daddy, and she did great! I had some tears over the event as it meant she didn't "need" me, but I'm glad she got to have that special time with Drew. She stared at him the whole time! It was sweet. Here's a picture of the event:
The second bottle didn't go quite as well as the first. I don't know what the reason behind it was, but she only ate about 1.5 ounces and then got really upset about 10 minutes after. Here's a picture:
The third bottle was a success. It was given to her by my mom. Nana did great, and Breanna enjoyed it! Here's a picture:
The fourth and fifth bottles were given to her by me! We are preparing to drive to Florida soon and I hope to be able pump and give her bottles along the way so the trip isn't horribly long! So, I figured I needed to get her more used to the idea. She didn't do very well with the fourth bottle. She ate about 2 ounces and then didn't want anything to do with it. The fifth bottle was great though! I think a big part of the key to success is giving it to her before she begins to act really hungry. I think the problem becomes when she wants to nurse not only to eat, but also for the comfort of it. When she gets too hungry she gets upset, and the bottle doesn't comfort her like nursing does.
On that note, I absolutely love nursing Breanna! It's such a bonding experience, and I would recommend it to anyone about to have a baby! The beginning was really tough, and I had many teary feedings from frustration and soreness in the beginning, but I am so thankful I stuck it out! There is nothing quite like it, and it's hard to put in words how truly special it is. With that being said, now that's we've tried a few bottles it will be nice to be able to slip away from time to time and know she is okay with it.

0 comments:
Post a Comment