Saturday, September 25

The honeymoon is over

So I recently posted about our success with swaddling at nap time.  I must have jinxed myself, because the next day she went back to her normal no napping self.  The most I can ever get out of her is a 40 minute stretch now, but usually she is up 10-15 minutes after laying her down.  The trouble is, I know she is tired so I feel like I end up wasting the fun parts of the day because I'm so focused on trying to get her down for a nap.  I've read a few napping books of all approaches and they all have some good tips, but most of them seem to be for babies a little older than Breanna.  Does this mean I'm trying to get her on a schedule too early?  Does it mean she's still so little that she should just be cat napping through the day?  She IS only 12 weeks old, but it would just be so nice to have a predictable schedule and be able to put her down instead of holding her for naps.  I am open to any thoughts, opinions, suggestions, and/or ideas!

4 comments:

Brittany said...

I think it might be their age! Or that's my story and I'm sticking to it. haha Vince is usually awake 1 or 1.5 hours and then is ready for a cat nap. For him to sleep though, I have to hold him. Once he's good and asleep I can sometimes transfer him to his swing and get some things done. If I'm on my laptop I can put him in the boppy on the couch beside me. Other than that, Mommy sits and holds so little man will take a nap!

Christina said...

I didn't have much luck getting good, consistent naps out of Alex until he was a bit older (maybe like 7-8 months? It's hard to remember!) Once he was more on a morning and afternoon nap schedule he did better. Then he'd usually take a short cat nap sometimes in the evening too for a while. I wouldn't say he was a GREAT napper until after age one... he is in his room now for at least 2.5-3 hrs a day though!

Nathan isn't a consistent napper still either (and he's 5 months!) The only nap I can really hold him for is one in the afternoon, otherwise with a 2 year old I can't anyway haha... but he naps much longer in my arms (usually an hr and a half or 2 hrs). His naps on his own are several times a day (not at consistent times) still and range mostly from 30 minutes to an hr. He takes a passy most of the time for naps and I give him a small stuffed animal (I started that about a month ago). That's what got Alex napping on his own too - I think because it gives him something to play with quietly and chew on when he's trying to fall asleep? I know they say no stuffed animals/blankets in the crib, and I don't use them for bedtime yet - but I figure I can peek in at naptime to make sure they are away from his face, and he sleeps better with them during the day.

But really, I wouldn't worry about it... like I said, Alex is a great napper now - I think it's just the age :) I know it's frustrating since it's hard to get anything done, but I'd just enjoy holding her once a day or so while you can and keep working on some independent naps too :)

Ashley said...

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! It helps to hear other mom's advice and thoughts!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I just found your blog from the Alpha Gam bloggers list. But have your asked her doctor? Several of my mommy girlfriends have had a lot of luck with sound machines too. And dream feeding. I wish I had more advice but I would go with asking the doctor just to make sure there isn't something else outside of the sleep issue to worry about. Good luck!!