Yes you read that correctly!! We are in fact pregnant! I decided to start this blog as a way of journaling for myself but also as a way to keep all our family and friends updated despite living all around the world (from Florida, to Las Vegas, to Japan, to every area in between.) Now, I'm not a very poetic writer so you'll have to bear with me through some of my incorrect grammar, mispellings, and fumbled words. And, obviously I've never been through pregnancy or childbirth before, but from what I hear it can be a bit gross and ugly... all wrapped up in a beautiful, amazing process. So, I'm going to go ahead and warn you all now... I will be putting some of those gross ugly details in this blog, so be ready.
Here's our story so far...
Drew and I have been talking about trying to conceive for a little while now (well, let's just be honest, I've been talking about this since we got married) but it's one thing to talk about it and another to have the reality come true. My doctor has always told me that it would probably take a while for me to get pregnant. So at the beginning of the summer I stopped taking birth control and set in for the long haul. After a few negative tests in the last few months I realized this whole process was going to take a lot of trust in God, a touch of strength, and large amounts of patience! For those of you that know me pretty well, I guess you could say I'm a bit emotional... (Okay Dad and Drew, maybe "a bit" is an understatement but let's be nice to the pregnant woman... ) and so I was bracing myself for a long road ahead.
So anyway...
It was the right time, so I took a test this morning before work just in case, well two actually because I didn't believe the first one... When I saw the positive test, an immediate flood of emotions came over me as I stood in the bathroom sobbing. They were obviously tears of joy, but disbelief and anxiety were also mixed in. The disbelief hit me first as I went through the motions of getting ready for a normal day at work while still crying and thinking nothing more than, "this can't be real." So, I took a second test. This one looking even darker and "more positive" than the first, so I decided maybe I should go tell the daddy to be.
Despite having thought for a long time about how I would actually tell Drew when that moment came, somehow in the whole shock of everything, the only words I could stumble out to tell Drew were, "Baby, we're pregnant!" Real creative huh?! Being that I woke Drew up, his immediate response was confusion followed by joy and a huge hug. I think Drew used his confusion to be sure he reacted "appropriately" seeing as how I had told him when the time came he better act really excited (haha), but he tells me he truly was confused because "baby and I" had kept him up all night tossing and turning, haha! What a sweet husband!
My biggest struggle right now is to not tell every single person I talk to! We decided we wanted to wait to tell everyone until at least after our first doctor appointment. I will go to speak with the prenatal nurse on November 17 and the doctor the week or two after.
Based upon my calculations, (which I think are pretty accurate because I've been taking my basal body temp and charting my cycles) I am 5 weeks today. No symptoms to speak of as of yet... hopefully that will continue.
My biggest fear at this time:
I had swine flu right after conceiving and was on Tamiflu to get rid of it. The CDC says they recommend the medicine even for pregnant women because the flu virus is so dangerous to both mommy and baby, but it still makes me nervous because they don't really have enough information on how it could affect the baby. Here is what the CDC says, "the available risk-benefit data indicate pregnant women with suspected or confirmed influenza should receive prompt antiviral therapy. Pregnancy should not be considered a contraindication to oseltamivir or zanamivir use." (oseltamivir is the Tamiflu medicine) I truly think God "made the choice" for me to take the medicine though, which I know sounds ridiculous, but... I took pregnancy tests before starting the medicine while praying for a result that would allow me to make the best choice on whether to take it while trying to get pregnant. I should have already been testing positive if I was pregnant, but for whatever reason I got a negative result and decided to take the Tamiflu. Convinced I was not pregnant the doctor also gave me codine for my body aches... thank God I did not take the codine! Because of the Tamiflu though I only had a high fever for less than 24 hours and got healthy quickly. I truly think everything happens for a reason and I know this is no different...but I'm hoping for more reassurance from my OB. I'll keep you posted on what she says.
West Fork Park | Green Township, OH | Cincinnati
8 years ago

1 comments:
Bring on the gross and ugly! I must be warned about what my future may hold, haha.
Post a Comment