Wednesday, April 4

Meltdown

It finally happened... Breanna had her first real tantrum in a store today.  I was hoping Breanna would be that unheard of child that never had a meltdown in public.  Yes, you can go ahead and laugh now...  We've had small tears and "drama" at friends' houses, etc. but never a big explosion in a public place.  Today was that day.  We were on our way home from storytime at the library and I decided to make a quick stop at Target.  Our storytime ends about 30 minutes before we eat lunch, and about 1 hour before naptime.  Normally we go straight home b/c I know that has the potential to be a disastrous combination, but Breanna was happily chatting about the bunny she made at the library and hadn't mentioned being hungry at all.  Plus, I only needed 3 things, all of which were for Breanna so I thought she would be easily distracted.  The trip started out great, she chose to walk instead of ride in the cart and was happy as a clam.  We picked out a swimsuit for B with polka dots and she was ecstatic carrying in herself.  We went to get a new bottle of sunscreen and she began to want to touch everything.  When we got to the toothpaste aisle she happily picked out a my little pony tube and gave me her bathing suit so she could carry her toothpaste.  At that point her curious little hands were all over everything, so I gave her one final warning that her hands needed to carry her toothpaste instead of touching other things or I would have to carry her.  When the inevitable time came that I had to follow through on my words and carry her, she loudly protested.  Thankfully when I asked her to calm down she took a deep breath (yes, she really does that... it's really cute) and I reminded her that she chose to touch things after I asked her not to.  Crisis averted.  Then we made it to the checkout line and there was no way my darling daughter was going to put her toothpaste down to be rung up.  She made that VERY clear!  So I told her she could put it down herself and get it right back after it was paid for or I would have to put it down myself.  Again with the darn follow through... I had to literally pry that darn box out of her hand. (how are toddlers so strong?!)  Obviously a huge tantrum ensued.  I paid for our stuff all while holding a kicking and screaming toddler, said thank you to the very non-understanding cashier and we left.  Quickly.  By the time we made it to the car Breanna was kicking my side hard, so I made the decision to give her a time out in the car.  We both needed a minute to compose ourselves.   I then "talked" to Breanna about using words instead of screaming and how kicking hurts mommy.  She said sorry and gave me a big hug.  And just as suddenly as her tantrum started she was back to happily chatting on the ride home.

I have to say I know this happens to all moms at some point, but I was SO embarrassed!  I HATE that I care so much about what others think, but I hate feeling like others are judging my parenting.  I make sure to keep my cool on the outside and appear confident so Breanna doesn't sense how much I want to cave, but in my head I'm pleading and begging for her to stop, lol.

When I said earlier that B takes a deep breath when I ask her to calm down I was being serious.  It's actually really effective, and really cute.  We checked out the book Calm Down Time by Elizabeth Verdick found Here and Breanna started implementing some of the things the book talks about on her own.  So now I can use taking a deep breath as a great calming strategy.

Tantrums and all, she still melts my heart!
Blowing a dandelion

1 comments:

Laura said...

Oh Ashley, I'm not even a mommy yet and my heart hurts for you because I imagine I will feel the same way some day! I wanted to point out that I thought it was awesome how you stuck to your words, even though that meant B had a fit. It's great you showed consistency and never caved - you'll see the good effects of that some day, I'm sure. Lots of love to you and your sweet family!